Author Topic: Minecraft!  (Read 1917 times)

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • LV: 0
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
Minecraft!
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:39:33 PM »
Now that the holidays are finally over, I should have enough time to finally focus on rebuilding our Minecraft server! For start, look forward to a testrun vanilla creative derpserver to go live prolly on Wednesday. From then, I've gotta make poke some old contacts and build something more permanent, lay down some base rules, grab some default plugins, and port in some old maps and structures from previous funtimes. Prepare thine diamond armorings!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
Re: Minecraft!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:39:33 PM »
Current news: Spoke with the admin of the former Uboacraft, Writer, and he'll be transferring the entire Ubuu server to me in its last live state. All the maps, the server files, mods, everything. That's a bit more of a head start than I was expecting :p

From what digging back through the news logs and stuff that I've been able to come up with, they were running a Spigot server with PTweaks, Prism, Essentials, PurpleIRC, WorldGuard, WorldEdit, Multiverse w/ Inventories, LWC, Dynmap, and HothGenerator. That info might be slightly out of date, tho. So it'll be my job to dig deep and find out which of these are useful to our needs, which are actually up-to-date, and if there's any way we can get stuff running on 1.8 (because we need bunnies dangit! XD)

From other servers and the like that I've played around in, I'd like to see us have the ability to have some variety of server economy (prolly based on bits), with a server store where you can sell your mined goods for bits and the ability to b/s/t with other players (including in the future the ability for players to set up shops, maybe have markets and/or malls dotted about, etc. would need to dig deeper into how those systems work; bits are easy, goods take up space..) I'd also like to see some variety of multichat w/ group features so that not everyone on the server needs to hear every detail of what everyone is saying (whisper commands, local commands, regional and world level commands, etc). How well that would/could integrate into an IRC mashup will be interesting; I've got testing and playing around to do with that noise. Basic thought is something like each separate chat could interface as a new room on our IRC channel that I'm working on developing, something like MC-Creative-Spawn showing as the chatroom for each area (and whispers working exactly like private channels already do in IRC). Usernames would map to something like MC-rpb3000 as it were on the IRC server, and those not in game would show up as IRC-Berry_Punch or such. Would need to figure out how to set permissions on the IRC channels to avoid spam. Gotta see what's out there.

And of course we need logging. Chat logging, block edit logging, so much logging. That way we can catch ne'er-do-wells red handed and shove them in jail, wherein we'll subject them to chicken torture. Or mortal spleef. Whatever.

Obviously we'll need moderators. At first the mod team will all have pre'y much all powers. In the future, the initial mod team will have godlike ophax, and we can move general players up to privileged positions as we deem fit. Eventually we'll need to come up with classes, and the special abilities said classes have, because it adds variety and spice to the game. Like flight for pegasi and such. But figuring all that noise is for later. It'll need mcmmo, if that's still around, and we'll need to abuse it's skilltrees and permissions to our own usage. Because customization is what I'm all about :p

Teleporters, homes, warps, yadda yadda I'll need to figure out later. We will have multiverse, we will have a survival world as well as a creative world, we will have nostalgia maps in archive read-only mode, we will have scheduled server events, and generally we'll attempt to have fun!

In other news... I need to figure out how to integrate music streams. Because raves mayn, raves.

If any of y'all have any recent experience with MC servers, chime up if you can point me in directions of where to look for things. Danke.

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:04 AM »
Latest news: DERPSERVER IS LIVE!

...and nopony can connect to it! :D

I'm running into some issues with port forwarding from my home pc, something I should've seen coming considering I couldn't LAN Diablo recently because of the same issue.

If you want to try and connect, hit up 174.101.223.83:25565.  You'll almost certainly timeout.

Currently running Spigot 1.8.8, Pripyat map, tested on a 1.8.9 client. Default vanilla survival settings, no flight, no admin hax, no plugins to speak of yet. Whatever the base build of Spigot is, that's what we've got. Basically is a testbed to confirm latest MC builds actually work with something useful. I'll prolly tweak settings, set up some default security and essentials type noise, and punch a hole in my firewall tomorrow. Still waiting on Writer to send me the Uboacraft files; I might just hunt plugins myself and upload bits and pieces of what I have lyin' about via WorldEdit if I get impatient :p

We're halfway there, anyway.

Eventually, I'll prolly invest in a real server that isn't sitting in my house, and definitely set up a url for access (prolly mc.pixelponies.moe). Certainly we ran Trot's server years ago just fine off my home build, but stability is nice, ye? Need to look into things and do a cost/benefit analysis (I had someone in the Spigot chat suggest that I could easily just dedicate my old Linux lappy to it, but something tells me it doesn't quite have the necessary power to blow up massive TNT hearts...)

Stay tuned.

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 12:30:25 AM »
We are live and accessible from the outside world!

174.101.223.83:25565

Running off of my home computer currently, set with a static ip and firewall issues eliminated. Server uptime should be roughly 24/7 with the potential for the occasional system derp or net derp. Nothing's changed server-wise, running Spigot for 1.8 on a beta mode Pripyat map that I found ages ago (outside the map area should spawn regular terrain). Nether and End should both be accessible if you really wanna play. Of note, pretty much anything done on this alpha-mode server will probably be lost! I may be convinced to copy some structures or what have you out via WorldEdit later when I get the plugins running and multiverse up, but it's pretty much freeform, do whatever, have fun, etc.

After plugins get added and settings set and worlds arranged we can discuss policies and mods and somewhere in there I'll set up an actual url redirector for the IP. And at some point in the not-too-distant future we'll look into actually acquiring a real server. All soon.tm; we're on Valve time here :p

Cheerios!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 03:32:12 AM »
Me and a couple others are planning on a push to retake the city from the monsters soon. 'Cuz might as well have fun with what we got, ye? Especially since we're still waiting on other maps and the like. If you're interested in helping, we'll prolly be starting around 10pm Eastern tomorrow. Goal is to secure a central location, mine for supplies, get a metric tonne of torches, suit up, and start taking things back one building at a time. If you tune in later, just head toward the center. There should be a massive sign by that point pointing to a chest full of basic supplies to join the attack.

Pripyat will be ours!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 05:24:16 AM »
The Pripyat conquest begins!

If you log in, look for the brightly lit building. There's a mostly-secured room on the ground floor with crafting tables, furnaces, and a chest of basic supplies. The rest of that building is semi-secure (we've got a lot of windows to patch, ceiling lights to install, guard rails to rebuild, etc) and comes equipped with a bar and a theatre! Berry is happy yes.

We're currently working on illuminating nearby pathways, fixing up the primary building, creating a rooftop garden for a renewable food supply, and stockpiling logs for charcoal and thusly for furnace fuel, torches, cooking meat, etc. There's a good renewable forest on the back right-hand side of the building (as you're looking at it). We need... soo many torches to successfully illuminate this entire city and every room of every storey of every building within it.

Luckily, there's ample spare iron blocks about to harvest materials from, so weaponry, tools, and armor are easy to come by. Unluckily, the world seems to be generated on a flatmap, so... no real mining to speak of. There's a randomgen village not too terribly far of a trek away from HQ that we can utilize to trade for many of the substances we can't easily find normally.

Our base goal for this is to have fun fighting back the hordes of monsters, restore Pripyat to some semblance of its former glory, and then.. who knows? Maybe import it somewhere into a real map once we have plugins going. There are a *lot* of structures that make good apartment buildings and such for basic startup residences in a full-scale server environment. Only time will tell.

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 12:37:21 AM »
Latest news: turned off firespread and mobgriefing because creeper holes were starting to get really irritating. Other than that, progress continues slowly. The vast majority of the interior of HQ is lit up to prevent mob spawning, there's really only one room on the back side that we need to build a staircase down to even access that isn't yet lit. Then we gotta get the roof lit and the back pathways that lead to the roof...  Eventually we're gonna *need* to get a nether portal open so we can harvest glowstone for fancier lamps and streetlights. Torches just don't have quite enough throw to look all that great when dotted about everywhere.

As usual, massive stacks of torches are our biggest need right now, so if you wanna help out, the most useful thing to do is go around the backside of the HQ (the area between it and the hotel building next to it, past the lit covered walkway) and harvest trees. Many mature trees there. Always replant for a sustainable future! Logs burn into charcoal which is (until we get to the nether and acquire lava buckets and/or blaze rods) our primary fuel for the furnace as well as necessary for torches. And there is a LOT of area to light up. Secondary to that, food is pretty high on the need list. The rooftop gardens aren't functional yet, so in the meantime cooked meat is the next best thing. Try to avoid the sheep; wool is useful.

Onward, comrades!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 01:05:19 AM »
mc.pixelponies.moe now works as the url to connect to the server. Far easier to remember!

We've got all three basic farmables on the roof now (wheat, carrots, and potates), as well as the tree farm around the back side. We need to drastically expand both tho to do anything efficiently. We're getting to the point where farming up a stack or two of charcoal (and thusly making torches) is becoming pretty easy, so lighting up the night continues!

Recently we expanded outward to search for nearby villages to see what we could harvest from blacksmith chests and maybe trade up for. Much of the stuff that isn't naturally spawning can be traded for in villages! We've also potentially got enough obsidian now to gain nether access. We'll prolly need to raid more of Pripyat to fuel our increasing iron needs, however. There's a way to set up a mob farm for iron, but it's slow. Considering we've got something like a week or so left on this map before a real normal gen map will be developed, I don't think it's too much to worry about.

If you wanna help, work on lighting up literally everything in town, every floor of every building, dot torches about the main roads and paths, yadda yadda. Also harvesting trees is extremely useful. Wood is valuable and is what gives us charcoal and sticks for torches as well as things like fences, fence gates, ladders, trapdoors, regular doors, buttons, stairs, wood slabs, chests, crafting tables, etc. The simple oak sapling can single-handedly rebuild the city and furnish it (fence pole + wood pressure plate = table; couple stairs connected = couch; stair + signs = armchair; stacked stairs = shelving; fence pole + planks + torches = street light; fence in wall = crude window; the possibilities are pretty insane).

Also the time is now if you want to lay claim to a building. Light it up, clear it out, stick a sign on it and call it yours. HQ, the hotel, and the spawn building are off-limits for obvious reasons. You can do whatever you want to the interior of a building you claim but leave the exterior as-is pending things like window and roof repairs etc.

That about covers the current noise. Cheers!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:12:16 AM »
With the overhaul of things and stuff, as you've probably noticed the server's been offline. That doesn't mean things haven't been happening by any means! We're working on setting up the default set of plugins to get things tweaked how we like it. I was delayed due to falling ill, but I'm back on track. Look for betamode to be coming hopefully within a week, if not sooner!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 06:27:25 AM »
We now have a dynmap at http://mc.pixelponies.moe:8123/; it's online when the server's online. Eventually I'll be adding markers to it. We're nearly good-to-go for betamode; I just need to set the basic group permissions.

Plugin lineup: EssentialsX, Multiverse, PerWorldInventory, WorldEdit, WorldGuard, CommandBook, CraftBook, dynmap, CoreProtect, and LWC atm (and ProtocolLib as it was a requirement for one of those)

Lots of tweaking settings, testing things out, tweaking more settings, etc etc to go. But if all goes well, a relatively stable server with basic permissions, logging w/ rollback and basic antigrief noise, common things like the ability to set homes, lock doors and chests, all that good stuff will be live sometime tomorrow. Then there's a metric tonne of work to do as far as setting up the basic world arrangements and importing builds from other maps. Eventually after all is said and done we'll be testing out economy settings and probably pull in mcmmo. Forward march!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 03:02:29 AM »
We are live! Feel free to log in and derp about. Permissions will be microtuned over the next couple of days. For now, most of you should have basic access to vanilla nonhax commands and such. One of the first things I'll be making when I next get a chance is to set up a creative freeform world. In any case, there is server, go derp about and have fun!

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2016, 02:21:19 AM »
Minecraft's gone and updated to 1.9. Server, as usual, will be lagging behind for a while until all plugins are updated. To get on, just switch your mc version in the launcher to 1.8.9. Still slogging through setting plugin settings and junk; for now everything is still in flux.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:23:10 AM by rpb3000 »

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 02:24:48 AM »

soon

Offline rpb3000

• Global Moderator
  • n00b
  • Cap'n Berreh
    • View Profile
    • Pixel Ponies Gaming
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 01:36:10 AM »
While we are still waiting on the PPG server to rise like a phoenix, a few of us are derpin' around on another server in the meantime. I give you Seisatsu's Lost Cities. Join us at 142.44.222.37:25582. The server is basically a massive, Fallout-style city full of vacant, monster-filled buildings to loot and set up camp in. Pre'y fun, if ya' ask me. See ya' there!